It reminds me to appreciate each and every day. It helps me focus on what is important and to not sweat the small stuff. This is also an exercise in self discipline and patience.
Are you sick or are you doing this for someone who is sick?
I am recovering from a condition, but am now in remission. I consider myself extremely fortunate.
How long does it take you to fold the cranes?
Depending on the kind of paper, it takes me about 20 minutes to fold all three cranes.
How much time do you devote to this project per day?
It takes on average 45 minutes to an hour a day.
What is your process?
1. Think about what I am doing that day and how I can incorporate the cranes into my schedule.
2. Set aside 20 minutes (usually in the early morning) to fold the cranes and place them in my wallet or shirt pocket.
3. Find a setting and photograph the cranes.
4. Import the pictures to my computer and choose the best one.
5. Crop the photo to 350 pixels wide and adjust the contrast, color and sharpness.
6. Upload the picture to my web host server.
7. Update the blogger entry for the day.
What kind of paper do you use?
Any kind of paper that is available and ready for recycling. I was given several blocks of white, square note pads that I like the best. The weight is sturdy and folds easily.
Do you ever re-use the same cranes?
No. That would be cheating. Part of this exercise is to test my patience and discipline.
What do you do with the cranes after you photograph them?
I recycle or give them away.
What kind of camera(s) do you use?
1. Cell phone camera:
2. Fujifilm Finepix A800
3. Olympus Stylus 600
4. Konica Minolta Dimage Z3
What kind of computer do you use?
MacBook Pro 15", Core 2 Duo, 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM
You must have a lot of free time to do this. Don't you work?
I value my time more than I used to. Whether it's free time or not, I make time for this. I have a full time job.
You must not have kids.
That's not a question, silly. But no, my wife and I do not have kids. I am sure if we did, I would probably be playing with them right now.
Do your family/friends think you're a bit mad?
Haha, that's a good question! I would not be surprised if they did.
If you have any questions, you can post a comment or email me @ robert (at) robertcasumbal (dot) com